It’s breakfast time in Muscat, do you know where the good avocados are?
Maybe it is the gringa in me, but every time I find good Mexican avocados here, I go crazy. This time I went 6 six deep – I bought 6 perfect, softball size, ready to eat masterpieces of omegas, potassium, and fiber. So I have got to eat them fast. Also, I’m going to the Royal Opera House in Muscat this evening, a late Valentine’s Day date – it’s time to make sure my body is well feed and energized until a late dinner after the show.
Meet the Ingredients:
- 1.5 Frozen Bananas – Frozen myself. Great for sweetness without straight sugars.
- 0.5 Cup of Greek Yogurt – Excellent for probiotics and gut health. Did you know that 80% of serotonin, a “happy” hormone, produced in your body originates from your gut?! Reason enough for me to keep it healthy!
- 0.5 of Avocado – You’ve seen my testimony above, need I say more?
- 5 Walnuts – Another great source of healthy fats and a go to scratch remover for wood furniture – yes, just rub it on the wood and the oils will soak in and cover the scratch!
- A Spoon Milled Chia Seeds – Milled Chia > (great than) Whole Chia as it allows for better absorption. Chia seeds are great for binding to the bad things in your body and pulling them out.
- A Spoon of Spirulina Powder – An import from Dubai, not sure if it is available here in Muscat. Spirulina is an algae and has one of the highest contents for plant protein. I’m not a vegan or full on vegetarian, but I do love that this is a sustainable source of protein with very little negative impact on the environment – plus, there are claimed added benefits of anti-inflammation and detoxification of heavy metals. This does not have a taste – if anything I would say “earthy” but well masked by the banana.
Don’t hesitate if you do not have all ingredients. I used to fret about that when looking a recipes, but you find the best combinations when you experiment with what you have.
From here, you only need to combine all of those ingredients in a blender to get…
I know it looks like something from “The Grinch”, right? This is thanks to the spirulina. But it’s delicious (mainly tastes like banana) and so good for you. From here, I eat it with a spoon. My preference is thick smoothies, but if you want to thin it, add some ice to the blend.
Now, I’m ready for a well fueled work out and a night at the Royal Opera House! Enjoy.
*Not a nutritionist or expert – just invested in learning how to take care of my body!*